Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Nutrition Class

Today was the first day of the Nutrition class of the course. WOW!!! Talk about intense. I had already learned a lot of what we were discussing due to my years of personal research and things that I’ve learned from our holistic nutritionist. I have an assignment due in 2 weeks on The South Beach Diet. We each got a different popular diet to research and give a presentation on. This should be quite interesting as I’ve known for years that these popular diets out there are just a fad and a money making scheme. Too bad the rest of the world doesn’t understand how unhealthy these things are and that they simply don’t work over the long term.

Next week, we are preparing a healthy breakfast in class. We were each assigned different items to bring in. I’ll be bringing in organic Soy Milk (natural flavor). I hope I remember to not eat breakfast before school… LOL.

Today we studied the acid/alkaline foods. We were given a photocopy of a chart that listed all the foods and their pH levels. The ideal diet consists of 20% acidic foods and 80% alkaline foods per day. I plan on putting all these in an Excel spreadsheet for my own personal use. Maybe even put a copy on my PDA so I’ll have it with me when we grocery shop.

Our class is planning a field trip to Whole Foods Market. It’s a big grocery chain that sells organic and healthy foods. Jason and I will have to check this place out as it’s only about 20 minutes from our house. They have store all over the Canada and the U.S. Here’s their website:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com
Seems they don’t have one in Utah though. Oh well, but they do have 5 in Colorado and one in Nevada. Hopefully the Holistic and Organic ways of eating will catch on more in North America in the future.

No comments: