Friday, November 23, 2007

Don't like the forecast? Check again tomorrow

I'm headed out to St. John's, Newfoundland next week for business. I've never been east of Montreal, so it should be an interesting experience. In preparation, I've been watching the weather forecast. The Weather Network has a graph of the upcoming 14 Day Trend. Normally I'm used to the forecast being somewhat accurate for the next three days or so, then less so every day in the future. But if I watch the 14 day trend for Toronto, it looks somewhat similar as the dates march across the calendar.

I've been warned by others in the office that the weather out there is significantly less predictable than it is here. Honestly, I don't know why they even bother putting together a forecast for St. John's. This graph looks completely different every time I check it. I think their "computer model" is a simple random number generator.

The bottom line is to be prepared for anything and everything, whether it's sun, rain, snow, slush, freezing rain, wind, hurricane, or sea monster attack. From what I've been able to gather, these are all equally likely. Watch this space for sea monster pictures.

No comments: