Sunday, November 25, 2007

And here I am

Made it to Newfoundland without any drama. The plane was an Embrarer 190. I had never been on one of these before. Actually, I think they're fairly new. I think I saw one at one of the airports on our September trip, and couldn't figure out what it was. They're only slightly larger than a Canadair regional jet, but the engine configuration is more like a 737. The Embrarer is fine. It's two seats on each side like a CRJ, but it does have more space inside. Feels more like a 737, except there's no middle seat.

The approach to St. John's is interesting. Base leg was out over the Atlantic, and we got a nice view of the city at dusk. It's much nicer to look at from the air than Toronto is, although I still prefer being up in the mountains.

It's pretty well dark here already, the time is an hour and a half ahead of Toronto. I get a view of the harbor from my room, the hotel is almost right on the water. It's not the greatest view, as it's a working shipping port, but it could certainly be worse.

I don't know how much time we're going to have for sightseeing. Probably next to none. The cab driver gave us a virtual tour of the area, as much as he could in the 10 minute drive from the airport. It'll remain to be seen whether or not we'll have a chance to actually check out any of his recommendations or not.

More as I get a chance to post.

No comments: