Sunday, September 25, 2005

Healthy eating

It's been a while since I've posted anything here. To be perfectly honest, I kind of forgot about it for a while. So, now that I've remembered, what's new and exciting, you ask?

Well, there's the Mad Max end-of-the-world gas price panic. See that post below.

We've also been continuing our quest to improve the health value of what we eat. Obviously we're trying to get rid of a lot of bad things. Some of these are easier to give up than others, but we're trying to limit the ones we can't quite seem to get rid of. Like chocolate. Still, we have managed to eliminate most of the dairy products we used to eat.

What's surprised me more than the things we've given up has been the things we've added that I never thought I would be able to eat. And I've actually been enjoying them. In the past few weeks, I've tried and liked lots of things I never would have touched as a kid. I've eaten entire meals made up only of things I used to hate. For instance, recently I've had smoked salmon, whitefish, yams, turnips, corn on the cob, cabbage, coleslaw, vegetarian pseudo sausages, salad greens... and I think a few other vegetables that I can't remember at the moment. I never used to eat any of this stuff as a kid. Yeah, I was a pretty picky kid.

I've also switched from coffee to tea. I'm still trying to move from the regular caffeinated tea to the caffeine-free herbal teas. Green tea is a good compromise. It has a lesser amount of caffeine to keep me from falling asleep at work, but also has lots of health benefits. The first time I tried green tea, I thought it tasted a lot like lawn clippings. One of the things about becoming health conscious is that you don't really change your opinion on whether something tastes like lawn clippings, but you decide that it's okay for it to taste like lawn clippings if it's good for you, and you therefore decide to drink it anyway. And maybe even learn to enjoy the taste of lawn clippings.

No comments: