Sunday, September 25, 2005

Gas panic

It's been an interesting few days in Southern Ontario. It just illustrates what total lemmings people are. It's mass panic up here.

Why? Rumors of fuel price spikes due to Hurricane Rita. I have to admit, I'm not totally immune either. Last week I heard speculation that gas was going to hit $1.70 per liter, then $2.00, and then I heard to expect $2.50 per liter by Saturday afternoon (that's $9.45 per gallon). None of this materialized. I haven't seen one station actually charging above $1.04. In fact, prices seem to have dropped a couple of cents. There were a few stations out there taking advantage of the situation, but I haven't personally seen them.

How does this happen? All it takes is one jerk to trigger a chain reaction. Wednesday evening, one independent gas station in Chatham puts their price up to $1.76. Surrounding stations, thinking he knows something they don't (or just gleefully following along with the profiteering spirit), follow suit. Remembering a couple of weeks ago when the price went from $0.99 to $1.25 overnight, people panic and run to get to the cheap stations before the price goes up. They also call in to the DJs on the local radio stations, who in turn tell everyone in the broadcast area that gas is soon to be on the rise, so go fill up while you still can.

I have to admit that I also fell for it at first, and ran out to fill up both trucks, even though they were already nearly full. It took me a while to realize what was really going on, which amounts to nothing much. The more rational news outlets are reporting that we might see $1.20 per liter soon, but nobody but the idiot DJs on the local music radio stations are seriously predicting $2 any more.

I've personally seen lines to get in to gas stations wrapped around the block, although I've been avoiding getting involved in that mess. Many stations are running out of fuel. I've heard that actual fights have been breaking out in these lines over who gets to fuel up first. To illustrate the panic, read this message that came in from someone else on the Burlington Freecycle list:
Burlington....10pm....Petro Canada at Lakeshore and Appleby I just got gas for 99.6...the lines are there but not too heavy...only had to wait 10 minutes or so...gassed up the truck and a couple of cans as well...calling around for a locking gas cap tomorrow (and if I find one, I may just take the bus to pick it up)...hoping to find one...siphoning is happening...almost feels like a Mad Max movie...this is unreal...good luck folks
I think locking gas caps might be a good idea. We were able to order one for the 2001 from Canadian Tire's warehouse. Apparently their computer says no Canadian Tire store in the entire chain has a locking cap for my 1995 Dakota. Maybe they just don't make them any more. I'll have to try other stores. I know these things aren't foolproof, and you can't really siphon from a modern vehicle anyway, but I figure it'll keep the opportunists from fooling around with it in the first place. It's as much of a psychological barrier as anything.

Maybe I'll also post a nastygram to the inside of the fuel door telling would-be gas siphons to go steal from someone with a hybrid who can afford it. Or a Smart car. Hopefully they'll be too dumb to realize Smarts use diesel, which would serve them right.

Stories that came across the local news:

9/21 "Hurricane Gas Price Dilemma: $2 A Litre Possible"

9/22 "Motorists Brace For New Gas Hikes"

9/22 "Rumours Fuel Insane Gas Rush"

9/23 "Unnecessary Gas Panic Creates Chaos"

No comments: