Sunday, December 18, 2005

Trip day 2

Today we managed to get up and on the road on schedule. We ran down to McDonald's again for breakfast and got on the road. We made it over to Council Bluffs, IA almost exactly on schedule to meet Norah's friends Alenna and Shannon at La Mesa Mexican restaurant for lunch. We stayed there for almost two and a half hours and ate probably way too much food. But we definitely enjoyed our visit.

Unfortunately, we paid for it the rest of the afternoon, especially me. Indigestion is uncomfortable enough at home, but when you're driving across Nebraska it's just that much worse. I asked Norah to remind me never again to eat that much when we're on the road.

By this time I was starting to get a bit concerned about the fuel mileage we were getting. Our Dakota has the 4.7L V8 engine in it, which isn't exactly an economy-minded hybrid tree hugger mobile. But it was getting in the 15.2 mpg range, which is low even for it. We usually get more like 17.4. I was a bit worried that we might have a bad injector, or clogged filter, or something. Since it seemed to be running okay, I figured all I could do was to keep going and see if I could figure something out later.

We managed to push on to Sidney, NE that night. The Motel 6 there is in the complex right next to the Cabela's headquarters. There's also a super Wal-Mart right next door. For dinner, I just walked over to Wally World and got a sandwich from the deli, which we split. That was all either of us were able to eat.

No comments: